Thursday, December 15, 2011

Interview with a Locstar: Celeste

When I decided to add "Interview with a Locstar" to the blog, I wasn't really sure where to start.  I thought of just interviewing people on the street, but that's a bit intimidating.  So I decided to start in my comfort zone.  I took a look at those with locs around me who I consider to be locstars.  To me, a locstar is someone you see who makes you proud to have locs.  They are poised and own their look.  They wear the locs, the locs don't wear them.

Celeste is the editor and publisher of a magazine which is housed in the building I work in.  I've seen her in the hallways and she stands out.  She has a cheerful smile, but don't be fooled you can sense that she's no pushover.  And, she's the only other person here with locs.

I know I may get dinged for some of this - did I already say that Celeste is a magazine editor - but I tried to quote her as best I could.  Consider this a paraphrase of our talk:

Celeste isn't new to locking.  She tried once before when her hair was short.  After a while, that wasn't working for her and she went back to twists and braids and let her hair grow out.  She wanted to be locked before she had a first child, but didn't start the current go round until her first child was about a year old.  She's been locked for almost two years now.

Me: Why did you decide to loc?

Celeste: I wanted to be a good example to my girls.  We're taught that straight, flowing hair is beautiful.  God made us all beautiful. Celebrities from Beyonce on down are wearing weaves.  Some days I'd like to be straight and flowing too, but what type of message [would I be] sending my daughters if they're not good enough the way they are?

In an effort to promote a speaking engagement, Celeste was asked to send in a photograph.  She selected one where she felt healthy.  She had lost about 75 pounds.  The coordinator wasn't impressed and requested a different picture.  Celeste sent in one pre-weight loss and it was accepted.  Both pictures were head shots so her weight couldn't be that big of a deciding factor.  There was very noticeable difference, in the first picture, Celeste has locs.  In the second her hair pressed.  According to the coordinator, the second picture was "more professional." This is the type of thing that makes her wonder, "Would I be taken more seriously if my hair was straight?"

Hmm

Of note: Celeste goes to Urban Nature Silver Spring and is styled by Ebony.

No comments:

Post a Comment