Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How long have you gone since washing?

Yesterday I read a Facebook post by a woman who has not washed her locs in 6 months. She still moisturized and groomed, but the labor of washing her waist length hair was a bit much for her current schedule. Also, she wears her hair covered reducung the amount of debris which might otherwise land in her hair.

Different strokes for different folks. Depending on the loc forum you subscribe to, you will read a wide range of recommended grooming intervals. Most say that clean hair is healthy hair. Some say that dirty hair locs faster. I say you need to know your hair and know yourself. Quite a few are more concerned with how often you retwist. Retwisting too often can lead to thinning hair. Test different regimens and determine what your hair responds to best and keeps your confidence up.

When I got my hair done last week, Lauren commented that locked hair doesn't need to be washed more than every two weeks. I usually wash and retwist my hair every week. After about that long, my scalp sends out a reminder.

I don't think I can last 6 months. The longest I think I've gone without washing my hair and I didn't have braids is two weeks. I'm going to try to beat that and go a month. If I reach the three week mark, I might as well keep going, right?

The plan: Shower without a cap so that the steam can permeate my hair. Apply a daily moisturizer.

Today makes one week since my hair was washed. Wish me luck.

1 week since washing

No comments:

Post a Comment