Friday, December 30, 2011

Hair Lightening Fail?

As I already said, my hair doesn't usually take color well without first being lightened.  Sitting on the couch this evening, I started getting restless and decided to start on my 2012 goals.  I pulled out the ingredients for the hair lightening recipe I found on http://www.nappturality.com and got to work. 


Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Raw uncooked honey
  • 2 Cups Distilled water
  • 1 Tablespoon Ground cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
  • some Plastic Wrap
  • a Bathing Cap
Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients in a cup at room temperature and let it sit for at least an hour. This allows the peroxide levels to be released and it becomes more effective.
  • Use a long nose root applicator bottle, a spray bottle or a tint brush to apply it to the hair. 
Right here is where things start to go wrong.  I didn't have a big enough cup and made the mixture in a Cool Whip container.  The container is pretty flimsy and when I tried to bend it to pour the mixture into the spray bottle, it spilled out.

I had some more honey left over and started again.  This time, it I just put enough water to fill the 22 oz bottle the honey was in.  I figured I'd just add the rest of the water directly into the spray bottle.
  • You can also try applying it only to those areas you want lightened, and wrap the other parts of your hair in plastic wrap to prevent seepage.
I tried spraying the mixture all over my hair, but the cinnamon and olive oil were sticking to the sides of the bottle and clogging the sprayer.  I eventually just poured in onto my head.
  • Wrap your entire head up in plastic wrap and put on the bathing cap over the top. You may need to put a towel around your neck to catch any drips.
I'm not pleased.
  • It can be left for as long as you want - from an hour to the entire night. 
As I type, I'm about 30 minutes into the process and ready to wash it out.  I'm getting a headache from the swim cap and think it's starting to burn.  It has the burn of relaxer.  That "hmm, can I really manage this?  I want to because it's going to be so worth it."  The thing is, I'm not sold that it will be worth it.
  • To wash it out, rinse gently with warm, running water several times.  If you feel any grit, you haven't washed it out thoroughly. Follow up with your normal shampoo and wash and condition as usual.
Since, the site says, "If at any stage you experience itching or a rash or any reaction, discontinue using the treatment." I don't feel bad washing it out now.  I do feel bad for $16 on the honey.

Guess I'll see how badly this turned out tomorrow.  For now, I'm just rinsing it out.

Thanks to the hubby most of the cinnamon is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment