Saturday, October 29, 2011

Urban Nature Silver Spring Review

Website: http://www.urbannaturestyles.com
About: Natural hair care salon with three locations in the DC metro area.

Why I went: Doing my hair myself is a lot of work.  I like the freedom it gives me, but there somethings that I need someone else to help with.  Since I started maintaining my hair, I noticed that the sizing of my locs was uneven.  There were some that were way too small and one at the front that was too big. I could go back to JR, who started them, but I wanted someone who was using natural products.  Why put all the effort in on my own to have it reversed by someone I was paying? And I didn't want to have to bring my products with me especially since I haven't figured out what mixtures I like best.

I started doing searches for salons that had stylists who did locs.  I eliminated places which did not show a product listing.  Then I read through the products listed for the remaining salons.  There was only one left standing: Urban Nature Styles. They listed the buttes used for maintenance.  In addition to that, I was able to make appointments online.  I was sold.

Location Selected: Silver Spring, MD

Making the Appointment: After selecting the location, I was able to read reviews left by other customers for each of the stylist.  I read through them and picked the stylist who had a review on loc service with a time that worked for me.  After I submitted my request, I waited for confirmation.  Confirmation was sent via email and text message after a few days.

My Experience With the Venue: I arrived for my appointment a few minutes early.  I was greeted by Angela.  While I waited for my stylist to arrive I was able to look at the products which would be used in my hair.  I smelled the butters available and selected the one to be used in my hair - TAMU, mango scented.  I started reading one of the books they had on natural hair while I waited.  There was only one seat up front so that led me to believe that they don't overbook and I wouldn't have to wait a long time.  The reception area isn't as professional looking (no desk, just a card table and two bookshelves one of which housed the credit card machine), but it serves its purpose.  And since there didn't seem to be a receptionist, no real point in doing too much.

Before
Before


My Experience With the Stylist: Kim started on time.  I first wanted a consultation.  I wanted a chance to go over my needs and get a feel for her.  She listened to my concerns about the sizing and asked me to point out the locs in question.  She then walked me to the back where she washed my hair.  That was followed by a herbal rinse.

Once back in the chair, Kim started to comb out the over sized loc up front.  She commented that it reminded her of when she combed out her locs.  That provided the opening I needed to find out about her loc experience.  Turns out she only had them for 8 months.  She didn't like being limited. Hmm.

The Process: Kim used the comb to twist the unlocked roots.  The rest was palm rolled.  In addition to the butter, a gel was added.  I failed to ask what it was, but based on feel, the lack of description on the jar, and the feel of my hair afterwards, I think it was aloe vera gel.  Drying took place under a hooded dryer.

After
After
Time to Pay: When it was time to pay, I expected about a $65 total.  If you book a consultation, you receive a $15 credit on any service greater than $65.  I assumed that would net out and just leave you with the price of the service.  My actual total before tip and the $1 charge for a credit card transaction was $75.  When I asked about it, she let me know that she didn't charge for the consultation, but since my locs had to be clipped all the way down, she charged by for beginner locs.  Really wish there was a description of what the differences in services were on the website.

Overall Take: The venue was nice.  The staff was professional, but not friendly.  Aside from Angela and Kim, no one said hello although I said so to each of them.  Kim was good, but not great.  I'm not really pleased by the fact that she didn't have the patience to keep her locs for longer.  How is she going to be able to help me when I get frustrated?  Also, there were two locs I asked her to join that now look less than perfect.  She didn't comb them out to combine them. Instead, the unlocked portion is twisted together and the two separate locs have been palm rolled as one.  The effect is a puffy loc.  I liked the process though.  I felt that she cared about my hair and the things that should be put in it.

Would I go back? Yes

Would I request the same stylist? Maybe.  I'd like to have Angela do my hair.  She was more personable, but she has an afro.  I may need to send an email to inquire of her personal loc experience.  If that doesn't work out, I may have to try a different location.

Would I recommend them to others? Definitely

No comments:

Post a Comment