Saturday, October 22, 2011

Shealoe Recipe

I found a recipe for shealoe (combination of shea butter and aloe vera gel) and decided to try it out.

 Ingredients
1/2 cup. Check out the Hair Affair link for shea butter descriptions.

2 tablespoons

1/4 cup

Plus some tea tree oil and peppermint oil


Directions
1. Microwave shea butter.  This wasn't in the original recipe, but since the butter is hard I seemed like the best way to get a nice consistency.  I made this twice.  The first time the butter was room temperature.  Mix with hand mixer until fluffy.
2. Mix in olive oil and aloe vera gel.
3. Mix in essential oils.
Final product using the warmed shea butter.

I stored it in an old hair grease container.
Once the mixture cools, it becomes firm again.  Rubbing it between my fingers before applying made it easy to use.  Also, when I went to use it the next week, I needed to add some olive oil to loosen it up.

Overall, shealoe was easy to make.  The only equipment I used was a bowl, hand mixer (with one blade), and tongue depressor (to mix by hand - I'm sure a spoon would have done the job too).  My hair was shiny, but almost greasy to the touch so I'm pretty sure I used to much.  I didn't need to use any spray or other moisturizer all week though.

Verdict: After 4 uses, I've decided that this isn't for me. I love all the ingredients, but the final firmness of the product is a turn off.  I'll keep searching for my perfect loc butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment