Friday, November 11, 2011

Loc Butter Take 1

The shealoe was okay, but I think I'll pass on further use until I find or come up with a different recipe.  I found a loc butter recipe and I'm trying it out today.  Using my newly purchased double boiler, I melted:

2 tbsp shea butter
2 tbsp mango butter
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp liquid lanolin
1 tsp sweet almond oil
1 tsp jojoba oil
1 tsp avocado oil
10 drops ylang-ylang oil
10 drops lavender essential oil (my personal touch)

I poured the mix into a cleaned out hair grease jar and let it cool.  It did not solidify so this "butter" is more of an oil.

This is a 4 oz jar.  It was filled, but I poured some out into two other jars.
I washed my hair this morning and rubbed a mixture of  liquid lanolin, avocado oil, and tea tree oil onto my scalp. To add some moisture back, I applied aloe vera gel to my hair section by section before starting in on the "butter."  I put the "butter" to my finger tips and retwisted my roots.  After clipping them down, I finger (instead of palm) rolled the rest of the loc.

The plan is to spread this batch over three uses before tweeking it:
1. Use aloe vera gel to "wet" hair
2. Retwist right after washing
3. Retwist dry

Initial reaction:  Not sure that my hair is at the point where finger rolling works.  At least not when done dry with an oil.  The roots look good, but the rest of the loc is a bit puffy and dull looking.  My scalp does feel good.  If all else fails, this may be the moisturizing product I've been looking for. Based on how this came out, there is no need to do #3.

5 days in: My scalp is not happy.  It looks moisturized, but it is flaking.  Actually peeling is more like it.  I've been adding avocado oil, but it doesn't seem to be making it through.  I think the lanolin was a bad move.

Verdict: Take 1 was a fail.

Tweeks to come:  More shea butter, some tea tree oil, no lanolin


No comments:

Post a Comment