Sunday, March 18, 2012

What's Semi Freeforming?

I guess I put it out there, I have to post a follow up to my semi freeform desire post.

Here's some background information:  I have traditional locs which were started with coils.  I try to retwist every two weeks.  Quite frankly, that is a lot for me to do.  My hair is more work now that I'm locking than it has ever been.  I like the texture of my hair and enjoy playing with the new growth - something I did even when I was relaxed.  Retwisting takes a lot of time and I fear that I may be doing it too tight.  Enter semi freeforming.

Semi freeforming is a cross between traditional locs and letting the locs just freeform (a post will eventually come on those methods).  When semi freeforming, one may go extended periods of time without retwisting.  It is key to separate the locs though.  This will prevent locs from joining together at the base. All the same maintenance still applies - washing, moisturizing, etc - but there is less manipulation of the hair. 

One of the more popular freefromers is Valerie June:


I did try this method and must admit it did not last long.  My hair shrinks so much! I did it for about three weeks.  I wanted to go longer, but got frustrated.  I did bantu knots/curls for a bit and then just did a wash and go.  I love being able to wash and walk out the house, but I couldn't style it as I wanted.  I really wanted to be able to pull the top back into a ponytail, but that did not work and it really frustrated me since I could when it is retwisted regularly.

So I've decided to come up with my own method of semi freeforming.  The plan is to alternate between a style and a wash and go.  I'm excited to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment