Sunday, March 18, 2012

Valerie June You Tube Interview

Last year, The Coil Review did a You Tube interview of Valerie June, a musician who freeforms her locs.  There were lots of great points made in the interview, but two stood out for me more than others:

1. "Don't try to make your crop look like someone else's."  You are not like anyone else, why would your hair be?  Truth!  I need to remind myself of this everyday.  I like being different.  I didn't loc sooner because I felt like everyone else was doing it.  Why am I surprised that my locs don't look like someone else's?  I need to let go of what "nice" locs are supposed to look like.  I need to let go of what other people expect my hair to look like.

2. Draw a picture of what you want your hair to look like in 10 years.  According to Valerie, this will help keep you focused on the goal and stop you from giving up.  I need to do this ASAP.  I've been frustrated so many times already.  I know how long I want them to be (just below my boobs), but I never really thought about how I wanted them to look.

One maintenance step she does is oil her hair the day before washing them to help moisturize them.  Ha!  I knew I was on to something.  I been toying with this idea, but didn't want to deal with the greasy pillowcase again.  Now though it is definitely going to be tried out.  Since I figured out how to wrap my hair I think I can managing keeping it covered for a day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment