Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hi There

Summer has come and gone, fall is starting to feel like winter, and I am finally about to post.  Sorry for the delay.  There have been many days that I wanted to post, but just couldn't fit it into the schedule.  Did I tell you guys that I'll be participating in the Washington, DC Avon Walk for Breast Cancer?  Fundraising for that has taken over my life.  Oh, and I'm moving.  More on that later, hopefully.

Anyway just play a bit of catch up on my hair situation:
1.  I did not try to get my scalp under control.
2.  I stuck to the no retwist until about September 5.  My husband wanted me to go to a wedding with him and I thought it would be nice not to look crazy.  Unfortunately, I was so busy admiring the hair on one of the members of the bridal party that I forgot to take a picture of my own.




Her stylist took loc petals to a whole new level.  Her hair is about waist length I think she said and it took about 4 hours.  Not sure if that was including the first style the stylist tried that she didn't like.

Here's what my hair looked like when I retwisted it myself last week:

October 2013
October 2013
It's been been about three years since I cut all my hair off.  That's so crazy.  

September 2010 - the BIG chop

January 2011 - Finally decided to loc

New Year's Eve 2011
October 2012
Today

Now, I'm really wishing I asked homegirl how long it took to get waist length.  Not sure I could manage that much hair anyway.

So, there's how things are going with my hair.  Hope all is well with you and yours.  Many thanks to NaturaLocs for letting me know that someone actually reads my blog.  Thanks for motivating me.

9 comments:

  1. I read your blog too. It's helpful to comment so the blogger knows there's audience huh? :-D Thanks for sharing your journey. My locs are 3.5 years old and I'm dealing with a few issues with then (mainly breaking ends, especially my hair at the back of my head... well, actually all my locs around my edges). It's encouraging to see what other loc'ed heads are doing to care for their hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was just the hair in the back, I would say try wearing it pinned up off the collar of your tops/coat. If it's all around, have you been able to tell it your hair is too dry and/or being over manipulated?

      Delete
    2. P.S. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for responding! It is the hair on the back, and some on the sides. I think it is both too dry (working on this one) and over manipulated. Over manipulated primarily because I catch myself playing with my ends on the back of my head and on the sides A LOT when I am stressed, reading or studying (basically the majority of my day, between work and school). Those locs are ~ 1/3 of the size of the rest of my locs! People frequently ask if I cut my locs in a bob style myself. :-( Of course, the hair at the back also rubs against my clothes (I'm dreading winter). I'm a bit at a loss for what kind of styles I can do that fit both very different lengths of locs. Any other recommendations you can give will be much appreciated!

      Delete
    4. I must say, other than figuring out how to protect my ends from my fingers and clothes, I probably just have to be patient. After reading NaturaLocs comment below, I realize that other than my back-of-my-head-locs problem, my hair really has grown! I started 3.5 years ago with 2 inches of hair, and the vast majority of my locs are now 9+ inches long, even with my occasional poor treatment of my hair! And I just measured my locs at the back and the shortest one is 4+ inches long. So... they are more like 1/2 (not 1/3) of the long locs. *ahem*

      Delete
    5. Try doing knots or curls which will make your hair look shorter overall and stop some of the rubbing in the back. When the curls fall (or before) add a headband/scarf to keep you from messing with the edges. You could also flat twist the front of sorts and pin up the back to keep them from your busy hands.

      Glad you read NaturaLocs comment and stopped short changing yourself. Take more pictures and actually look at them (a message to myself).

      Delete
  2. Oh bless you Nadi, you're locs give me hope. I mean what a way you've come and looking confident at every stage.

    It's strange. I didn't start following your blog from the beginning but unlike other people I really get a sense of day to day patience and your pictures are the proof.

    Looking back I can see myself so much in your 2011 photos, it just feels similar somehow; how it was to cut my hair, wearing starter locs and celebrating at 1 year. I'd like to think I'm getting closer to your 2012 picture in terms of length and if that 2013 ponytail is anything to go by I am so very excited right now.

    Hi5 for the fundraising, I hope you reach as many people as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. I'm glad you have been able to see yourself in some of my pictures. I've been excited to see your journey and love that you are so honest about the struggle. You inspire me.

      Delete