Saturday, September 29, 2012

Salon Review: Natural Vybz


Website: http://www.naturalvybzhairstudio.com/ You can also find them on Facebook

About: A group of friends who got together to do hair.  You can get the official information on their website.

Why I went: There was a LivingSocial deal I couldn't pass up - $37 for loc maintenance and light style.

Making the Appointment: I did it over the phone, but you can also book online.

My Experience With the Venue: The studio is a house that was converted.   No big surprises.  Adequate street parking.  I'm not a big fan of B'more, but my car and I both survived the neighborhood. They keep to door locked so they need to let you in and out.

My Experience With the Stylist: Jennie, the owner, greeted me and had me fill out what was essentially an intake form.  It asked how often wash my hair, how much water I drink, what products I use and various other items.  Then she sat with me and asked a few more questions. Like most other people, she said that washing my hair weekly was too much and probably the cause of my dry scalp - but it itches!!  She told me they used - I can't remember the name, but I know it when I see it.  The initials are T.W.  She also told me to be mindful of getting information from YouTube since it's not always accurate.  I don't think she believed me when I said I don't look at YouTube that often.  Who has the time for a 12 minute video?

The Process: After the intake process, Jennie shampooed my hair - she usually does three rounds, but only did two since I washed my hair less than a week prior.  She styled it asking if it was too tight at various intervals, and letting it out when I said yes.  The final product:





Time to Pay: All I had to do was tip.  She was able to look up my voucher since my phone was taking its time.

Overall Take: The other stylist were friendly and funny.   It was like hanging out with new found friends.  The service was professional.

Would I go back? Yes

Would I request the same stylist? No, not because I didn't like Jennie, but I felt that I would be comfortable with whoever I ended up with.

Would I recommend them to others? Yep.  P.S. Jennie said another deal would be coming out in October, so be on the lookout.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a positive experience. Jennie really looked after you and I'm glad you're not with another 'pain is beauty' type stylist when it comes to twisting. As a diy loc'er, I really appreciate the advice I get from YT though I still use my common sense and personal experience to manage my hair.

    Hope you're doing well :)))

    NL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks NL. I'm glad I didn't regret going. I'm with you on that common sense and personal experience. YT will give you a place to start, but if you try what everyone says you will go broke and lose your mind/hair.

    ReplyDelete