Sunday, January 1, 2012

What are You Doing June 2014?

I'm addicted to cutting my hair. Well, maybe addicted is strong, but I cut my hair on whims.  That's one of the reasons some people (like my husband) don't think I'll keep my locs for five years, my current goal.  When I heard about the It's All Mine...Natural Hair Challenge 2014 I felt is was geared to me.  It's a challenge with the goal of African American women growing their own hair naturally - no wigs, weaves, braids, relaxers, or perms - "to a length that is satisfactory to them."

According to the website, "Hair grows about ½ inch per month, so in one year you could easily grow 6” of hair.  In two and a half years you could grow 15 inches of natural hair and even more if your factor in the hair you started with." The challenge kicked off June 7, 2011, but sign up is running through May 27, 2012.  In June 2014 there will be an event to mark the end of the challenge. 

I'm signing up.  Here's where things start:

Bottom row. Loc on the right. 3.5"

By left temple. 4"

Middle of my head.  Let's go with 4"

 The plan is to get some loc jewelry or beads to identify these locs.  For now, the first two are easy to locate.  I wrapped a piece of thread around it for the time being.

If the growth estimates are right:

The back loc would be right above my waist.
I'm pretty sure locs were not taken into consideration.  With the matting and the fact that my hair loves to shrink, maybe a more realistic ending would be 7.5":
Shoulder Blade Length

No comments:

Post a Comment