Saturday, January 14, 2012

1 Year Lociversary

So, I managed to suppress the urge to cur my hair all off again this week and made it to the one year mark with my locs.

One Year Lociversary

The most frustrating thing this past year was getting ready for my wedding.  My original plan was to cut my hair in five years (sometime in 2015) or after I got married. I'm not the most patient person and cut my hair well before either of these marks.  When I got engaged, I was immediately nervous.  What was I going to do?  I didn't want to be bald in my wedding pictures.  I figured I would grow my hair out and start locking after the wedding.  Once again my lack of patience broke me and I started locking a mere 5.5 months before the wedding.

The starting line
I went on a frantic search for pictures of people at there five month mark to have an idea of how long my hair might be.  That didn't help.

I looked up locticians in the Fort Lauderdale, FL are and found Natural Trendsetters.  My wedding coordinator also had a loctician in mind.  On a trip down the month before the wedding, I was scheduled to see the coordinator's recommendation.  The first warning sign was that she was in the flea market.  Once at the flea market, my fiance and I made several calls to her with no answer.  We wandered the market until we found her.  After looking at me, she said that I should comb out my hair and up in a weave. What?! What the hell was the point in going locking if I was just going to comb it out after a few months.  That's a lot of money I would be throwing away. What kind of stylist gives that type of consultation?

Upon walking out of the market, I called Natural Trendsetters.  When I got there, I spoke with Simone Hylton, one of the owners.  She was really positive.  She was currently working on a client, but let me know that she thought that a cute bun that would be possible by linking the locs and adding hair at the top for the bun.  Awesome!  Unfortunately, there were so many other things on the agenda for the day, I wasn't able to come back at a time when she was free.

I did make an appointment with another one of the stylists though.  When I explained that I was looking for a style for my wedding, she flat out said that I wasn't going to  be able to get a cute style. Huh?  Great... I let her wash and retwist my hair, but knew that was the end of the journey.

I ended up doing my own hair for the wedding.   Yay to cash savings.
5.5 months
From that experience, I learned that I need to tell people what I want.  I can't pay for a service that isn't what I want.

P.S. I'm wearing makeup in the one year picture.

2 comments:

  1. I recall spying at this entry some months back wondering if my hair would ever grow and now here I am again and my locs look so much like yours at 1 year, with similar loc beads too.

    What makeup were/are you sporting?

    NL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eye makeup is probably e.l.f brand while my lips are a gloss from either Clinique or Victoria's Secret. Yay!! I'm glad you are able to recognize your progress.

      Delete